Fenugreek/Methi – 1 bunch ((approx 1/2 lb or 250 g)
Rice- 2 cups
Oil – 2 tbsp
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Tomato – 1, med. diced
Turmeric Powder (Haldi) – 1/2 tsp
Green Chillies – to taste, finely chopped
Red Chili Powder – to taste
Coriander Powder (Dhaniya) – 1 tbsp
Salt – to taste
Water – 4 cups
1. Chop the roots and the thick stems off the bunch of Fenugreek Leaves.
2. Wash well and finely chop the rest.
3. Sprinkle a generous amount of Salt on the leaves, mix and keep aside for 15-20 minutes.
4. Wash the Rice well and soak in some Water and keep aside for 20 minutes.
5. In a pan (that has a tight fitting lid), heat Oil on medium heat.
6. Once the Oil is hot, add in the Cumin Seeds and allow them to change color.
7. Add in Green Chillies and Tomatoes, Turmeric Powder.
8. Squeeze out the water from the Fenugreek Leaves and put them in the pan.
9. Add in Coriander Powder and Red Chili Powder.
10. Cook for a couple of minutes.
11. Drain the water from the Rice and add the Rice to the Methi Leaves.
12. Cook for 2 minutes.
13. Add the Water and mix well.
14. Check on the Salt, add in needed.
15. Increase the heat, and allow the Rice to cook till most of the Water has evaporated and you can see the Rice come up to the surface.
16. Mix, lower heat, preferably to simmer and cover. Cook for 15 minutes.
17. After 15 minutes, open cover, turn off the heat, mix/fluff gently.
18. Cover and allow the Rice to rest for a couple of minutes before serving.
19. Serve hot with Raita and pickle.
1. Kasturi Methi/Dried Fenugreek Leaves can be substituted (approx 1 cup).
2. If Dried Fenugreek leaves are being used, there is not required to salt and soak the leaves. Add directly to the pan.